Sunday, July 16, 2006

Got Milk?

The other day G-Za and I were at our second home, the paddling pool, and I saw, greeted and chatted with a girl who graduated from the same school as me. She doesn’t live here in town anymore but every summer I see her around and she has an adorable little boy.

Nice huh?

So she asks which children are mine and how old they are and how long we’ve lived here and chit-chat-chitty-chat-chit!

Nice huh?

Then my 5 month old started fussing and it was time for a feeding and I did my (or what I thought was a) good mother thing and went over to feed my baby her bottle.

Nice huh?

Then she comes over and grabs a toy out of the box and nonchalantly says “Where’s the breast milk?”

Uh….NOT NICE!!!!!! No - rude! NO - bad!

There are a few things off the top of my head that are wrong with this comment actually there are about 1000 but here are my initial thoughts.

1) You just asked me, a person you had to ask the first name of, at the paddling pool a VERY personal question about secretions that come from a certain personal part of my body.
2) You have just criticized my parenting style and decisions while in the same breath assuming that what I have in the bottle is not the “precious liquid” being inquired on. And also how does she know my baby is not adopted or unable to nurse for some other sad medical reason?
3) You have just intimated to me that you would really just like to see me whip it out right then and there with a detailed anatomy lesson on where the breast milk really is! “Oh it’s right here! I’ll show you! Sure!”

People PEOPLE! There are rules of public conduct that must be followed in this world. I don’t ask for much but please PULLEASE do not:
- ask people where their breast milk is
- reach out and grab at pregnant bellies with out their clear permission and/or invitation also DO NOT ask when the baby is due unless you KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a baby due. This hurts feelings for more reasons than I can count especially if there is no baby and for one reason or another it looks like there is. It's deserving of a whole other rant that is not blogger friendly, at least not my blog. Actually Tamado has a really good post about pregnant woman eitquettte - check it out!http://tamnado.blogspot.com/2006/07/belly-in-public-domain.html

Further More......
- Do not ask people for money they owe in the street or while they are shopping at your store. If you must ask them for the money please be discreet about it.
- And finally there’s this. And this is for all health care professionals out there. Let’s say, for instance, you had a rather large mole on your body and it wasn’t in a place that was really visible for everyone to see…..yah….and you go to the hospital to have it removed and you are in the waiting room with another girl whom you know from Smalltown and the nurse calls you BOTH to come at the same time and interviews you TOGETHER about your non-visible moles that will be removed that day. No. Don’t be that nurse.

That is all.

11 comments:

Oh Joy said...

Well I feel I simply MUST comment...but I also I feel as though we've discussed this so much you know my thoughts on the subject. In fact I think your thoughts and mine are rather inter-woven right there in your dialog. But seriously, I just think she showed herself a little odd by doing that. Also the whole 'breast-is-best' cheer should really be left to 16 year old boys. Are we not OVER the whole boob-thing yet? It's like breast-feeding has given us a reason to start comparing boobs with each other again! Sheesh. I can't compete so let's leave it alone.

Has anyone heard of the Brazilian Butt-Lift?

Oh Joy said...

So I just read said belly-blog. And I really have to be ADD or something (not a lot of hyper in my ADD). B/C I seem to totally miss the point. But I have just gotta say I laughed myself SILLY when I read Wilma's comment about the button! Good one Wilma. And are the nuptual rumors TRUE? B/C I have one disbelieving husband who wants to see a copy of that licence to believe it!

flibirdijibit said...

should I be looking into this butt lift thing at the same time I am shopping for some 'competition grade' boobs?

flibirdijibit said...

I just realised this post could and possibly should have have been entitled "Titer Levels"! Am I right Mr. G-Za?

Oh Joy said...

Wonder how many times we can use "Titer-Level" in a day before we tire of it. So far it seems quite a few...

Anonymous said...

I would like to add another "don't" - don't ever ask when a couple is planning on having children, or when they're having the next one. The assumption is that they can just get started whenever they want to. The reality may be that they're going through an extremely emotionally painful roller coaster trying to conceive, or they just don't plan to. Thankfully, I've never been there, but I've had too many friends that have gone through this.
Why don't people know when to BUTT OUT!
Signed,
The non-blogging, feminine Tamado

flibirdijibit said...

oh TROO DAT! Double Troo! That also will hurt the feelings and or very much em-bare-ass a person, and really what could possibly be an appropriate reply to that question in everyday chit-chat?

Wilma said...

Yes, the nuptual rumors, or "truthors" are correct. So you just tell that hubby of yours to prepare for the worst, cuz the sky is falling, hell is freezing over, etc. etc.

The licence is available for viewing for a mere $5.95.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I won't refer to myself as the "feminine Tamado" again, although, I am the "Tam" in "Tamado", just to clarify. So now I have to think of a clever name for myself...

Oh Joy said...

Well Wilma, if you are still reading this congrats to you! Good work. Who knew that all this time it was one of our very own Kerrobert residents who could make hell freeze over!???? What powers, what powers...

Wilma said...

Just be thankful I've decided to use my powers for good and not evil.
It was a hard decision that could have gone either way.

Locations of visitors to this page